This service has qualified for the NZTE Capability Development Voucher Scheme, and is eligible for voucher redemption.
To meet the diverse requirements of governance boards, this workshop is customised in content, duration and format to meet the priority needs of an individual board of directors/trustees or a cluster of boards or directors/trustees with requirements in common.
Sound governance is essential to business growth and development. This action learning workshop will build on directors’/trustees’ existing skills and the board’s governance priorities will determine the focus of the workshop content.
The units comprising this workshop have a particular focus on the roles and responsibilities of directors, board members and trustees and on governance documentation. The content may include:
Roles and responsibilities of highly effective boards
- Selecting, orienting and engaging individual board members
- Building a cohesive board
- Governing versus managing
- Appointing the CEO/manager
- Building an effective relationship with the CEO/manager
- Monitoring and governing company performance
- Assessing and managing CEO/manager performance
- Setting the Board agenda
Making expectations explicit: Effective governance documentation
- Defining and documenting strategic direction
- Developing a policy framework
- Determining annual objectives, strategies and priorities
- Agreeing performance targets
- Deciding what should be regularly reported to the Board
- Setting clear expectations for board agenda papers
Following the workshop coaching will be available to support the directors/trustees and their chief executive/manager as they put their new skills into practice. This coaching may include:
- Provision of one-to-one coaching support for the Chair as he/she supports the Board to strengthen their governance capability and effectiveness
- Provision of one-to-one coaching support for the Chief Executive/Manager as he/she seeks to implement new documentation and other governance requirements resulting from the training
Attending Board meetings in a coaching capacity to support directors/trustees put their new skills into practice at the Board table
This workshop is customised to individual Board requirements.
It can be delivered as a one or two day workshop or delivered in modules in association with a board’s regular meetings.
A new board would receive tremendous value from all directors/trustees participating in a 2 day action learning workshop using the opportunity to develop or refine the way in which they will work together.
The duration of the coaching will depend on client requirements.
Please contact us for more information
Back to Governance